StatCounter

Friday, August 31, 2012

And the Search Begins...

In case you weren't aware, I'm still at camp. Well, I am AT camp, but camp itself is over. There are some groups that use our facilities after the kids leave in August, and I'm part of the support staff. It's been...interesting. So far I've played lifeguard (aka, I have a great tan), filled many coolers, painted some floors, cleaned up rotting shingles, driven all over in a golf cart, swept a lot, and battled some mice.

my camp; it's pretty

The nicest part of post-camp life is that it affords a bunch of random down time. Time for naps, spontaneous grocery shopping, walks, and sitting around on the backs of the golf cart. It also leaves a lot of time for us unemployed types to job search. I actually was refusing to even look at jobs until last week, when literally every person at camp--including the full-time people--were looking at jobs. And then I felt lame. And then I read that ANOTHER person I know is engaged, which always makes me feel behind in the milestone game. So I decided to be proactive.

After 2 hours and some stressed jaw clenching, I emerged from the internet with exactly one job that I am 100% sure I can land.

WOW!!! LOVE ITTTTT!!! #optimism

#justkidding          
It's interesting being in my position. I've been working for over 4 years now, and I have yet to find a career I can tolerate for more than 9 months at a time. "But what do you want to do?" Great question everyone. Don't you think if I knew the answer I would be working towards it? It's not that I don't appreciate offers of help, but it's getting a little redundant at this point. I'm entering my 5th year as an uninsured American (yes, seriously), and trust me, I am trying.

Honestly, it's not as bad as all that. In my entire life as a job-holding person, I have had maybe 10 days where I needed work and didn't have it. I'm damn lucky in the grand scheme of things. The toughest part is looking around at my peers and feeling behind. In the end, though, I don't plan on measuring my success against anyone else. That's just a recipe for disaster.

I am simply going to enjoy my last weekend at camp, helping host a wedding, and then relax for a week in Boston/Maine with my lovely au-Parisian (see what I did there?) friends. When I get back to Athens, it will all work itself out in the end. Or it won't! And then you will find me on the corner....


I perfected my street performance in Paris

....PERFORMING for tips. It hasn't come to THAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment